Sunday 3 January 2010

I'm supposed to have a servant!

I think today is just the final proof that I was never meant to cook... or that I'm more stupid than I thought... I was hungry, as usual, so I decided to cook my dinner; simple enough right? Wrong. I went up to my room and a long time (I haven't got a clue how long) later I was shocked by the LOUD smoke alarm bleeping angrily. Was something broken? A problem with the smoke alarm? Perhaps I was dreaming the whole thing. No, as I arrived in the kitchen I was greeted by a strong burning smell, eye-burning heat and a pan of black rice. That's right, I burnt a pan of RICE.



It reminded me of another pitiful cooking incident a few weeks ago... *harp glissando* ... I was cooking some bacon (I do like bacon, mmm), well, I say cooking, it was sort of just sitting in the pan maybe sizzling a bit, as if it didn't really want to cook. I was cooking eggs on the hotplate next to it and they had done fine. I just couldn't work out why the bacon was 'cooking' so slowly, and my housemate couldn't either. So we scratched our heads for a while, I obviously came up with no conclusion because I'm incapable of such things. My housemate, however eventually realised that the hotplate I was cooking the bacon on was not turned on. At all. Luckily it somehow managed to cook from the residual heat of the hotplate next to it and I didn't die of food poisoning or something.

Yeah, that's how stoopid I can be sometimes, I lack common sense :/.

Anyway, back to today. I was surprised that I didn't feel like death when I woke up to the sound of my phone playing the hymn A Mighty Fortress. Usually, I cannot at all handle late nights and early mornings. I know I'm 19, and I'm supposed to be able to stay awake for 3 days straight... but just no... I cannot handle sleep deprivation. So anyway, I felt good as I stepped out into the morning air to go to church, and I saved 5p on my bus fare cos the bus driver didn't have any change. Church was nice, I'm gettting better at playing Pipe Organ, which makes me happy, my feet are learning to co-ordinate with my hands. I really enjoyed our YSA sunday school class, there were only 4 of us in it, haha. I started flagging in the last hour though, the lesson was good, but it was much easier to be distracted by the interactions of two babies playing near me...

A problem I've had for a while got solved after the meeting too. There's a village near to the city that my friend(s) and I visit quite a lot called Quernmore; let me hear you say it: Kwern-more, right? No, not right. I looked it up on Wikipedia and was surprised to see that it is pronounced Kwor-mer. I don't really know why I was surprised, upon reflection, because most places round here seem to have 'strange' pronunciations. Anyway, I thought Wikipedia was probably wrong, but today I was lucky enough to get a lift from somebody, and when talking about where to drop me off he asked if he should head towards KWORMER. This made me so happy, I can't even describe it.
...maybe I need a new hobby...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Send me your thought from across the room...